About the Role
The Regional Counsel operates at a senior level within this global business reporting to the regional COO and is a key member of the Australasian team and leader of the regional legal team. The legal team supports an increasingly diverse range of challenging legal issues – complex litigation, risk mitigation & management, governance and compliance oversight and has a growing workload in a range of jurisdictions. More recently the team’s work has involved matters around business integrity, ethical conduct, confidentiality and stakeholder performance. Overseas travel will be required as part of this role.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Lead the overall strategy and approach to legal and risk matters in Region
- Define and develop internal legal governance policies and frameworks across the region, ensuring regulatory compliance across markets
- Collaborate with and provide strategic legal guidance to teams across the region on complex, significant matters
- Lead regional risk assessment processes to identify and manage key risks facing the firm
- Educate & inform the region Board and management executives of emerging risks and/or exposures that should be considered
- Lead and develop the core legal team, broadening the in-house expertise and delivering strong performance from the function
- Lead contract negotiations on major/complex projects and ensure strategic risk management on key projects
- Build external stakeholder relationships, influencing project collaboration and industry initiatives and reform
- Deliver strategic initiatives aligned with regional and global strategic plans
- Partner with business leaders to improve understanding of the key contractual and legal risks for individual projects
The ideal candidate will have demonstrable experience in establishing and maintaining high-level working relationships with key senior stakeholders, both internally and externally, as you will be expected to build a strong and trusted internal working partnership with the regional legal team, wider global legal team and throughout the corporate community.
We expect that candidates will have at least 15 years PQE from within the construction and/or infrastructure space. Extensive experience in leading dispute resolution, commercial litigation, commercial transactions and risk management will be essential to the role. Candidates must be able to demonstrate critical and strategic thinking skills with proven experience in developing and implementing creative and successful solutions. Candidates will also be expected to have exceptional communication, negotiation, influencing and presentation skills to provide leadership and develop a collegiate team who are proactive and driven to achieve results.
To succeed in this role, candidates will be expected to have experience contributing at senior management level across a diverse range of legal issues with a sound network within the relevant markets and a significant reputation and expertise in the construction and infrastructure space. You will bring excellent judgment and the highest levels of integrity along with humility, self-awareness and a sense of humour. Of course, a commitment to excellence, a proactive approach to improving ways of doing things and finding ways to deliver greater value to the business and operational budgets is expected.
To register your interest, click on the APPLY NOW button, or for a confidential discussion, please call our Melbourne office on 03 9039 9991.